Bricks & Mortar

For the past few months I have been working with a young couple who are building a new home.  They came to me with their architectural plans and asked me to help them start to finish.  I happily accepted and we immediately started selecting the exterior finishes.  Tops on our list--applying a mortar wash to brick exterior. 




Architectural Front Elevations (Taken with iPhone)


I recommended doing away with the stone accents and bricking the entire home.  We also removed the three decorative copper finials on roof.  After waiting patiently for builders to frame the home, the brick was laid and wash applied.  The clients are thrilled with the results.
Home before brick and mortar wash









  My clients were very specific in wanting the exterior to have a more authentic "old world" feel which is why we chose applying the mortar wash by hand.  It is more expensive then purchasing a prefab whitewash brick but the overall results are well worth it. Over time the mortar will lighten and develop a worn appearance reminiscent of English country homes my client's admire.


Inside it is slowly starting to look like a home.
Looking at front doors from Family Room
 

Kitchen into Family Room

Dining Room

Custom Doors in Family Room leading to Outdoors

Pin It

No comments: